Hi everyone out there in blog land!
I’m Jane, the team leader for the Island Program. I’m very excited to have my new batch of volunteers and the final two arriving in an hour. Altogether we have six girls and three boys plus myself, all North Americans. Already I can tell we have a fun, social group. I can’t wait to get to know everyone. We have an early start tomorrow, travelling most of the day but tomorrow night we’ll be swapping this evening’s city bustle for a relaxed island vibe.
For those of you wondering who is this Jane character that is herding my loved one around Cambodia, here’s some quick facts about me:
A little bit about me:
- I grew up in Australia, not far from a town called Newcastle. I don’t think I have much of an accent but people often say I sound like the crocodile hunter.
- I am a travel junkie.
- I sometimes have difficult speaking with “inside voice”.
- I’m a big believer in volunteering and have done quite a lot in my time. I’ve been working with Reach Out Volunteers since the beginning of the year and I’m a little bit in love with their programs and the work Reach Out Volunteers do.
- I am a newly certified scuba diver. Squeeee!!
- My personality is a strange mix of wildly enthusiastic and grandmotherly. Like an elderly cheerleader.
- I have a cat that adore. Once my friend got a video of her on Funniest Home Videos and made $550. Cash cat!
- I am a self-confessed Botany Nerd.
- I have some tattoos which are admittedly a bit odd but I haven’t grown to dislike them yet.
- I will be posting a blog everyday so you can follow our fun. Please be understanding that my internet access is infrequent and skeeeetchy. If I fail to post a blog it’s because there is a problem with the internets, not with the volunteers!